Sunday, December 27, 2009

Introduction

Hello Future Readers (if I ever get any),

I am a musician who lives and works in St. Louis, MO. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and I love this town. There is some really amazing music, art, food, people, schools, recreation, anything you could ever want here. Plus the cost of living here is REALLY low. But... for every person that really loves this town and wants to see it prosper there are (it seems like) dozens that either don't care or actively try to keep it down (Ladue, I'm talking to you, you racists fucks).

One of the biggest problems facing this city is that St. Louis city and St. Louis county are governed by completely different bodies with frequently conflicting interests. But more on that later... and for the record University City IS NOT part of St. Louis city for those of you that like to pretend it is. Let's face it, U City has become the Joe Edwards theme park. It's not a bad thing, in fact, I think that it's good that this formerly crappy part of town has improved by leaps and bounds. Though I suppose I should say that the part of town commonly referred to as "The Loop" does extend into the city limits, so, that's something, I guess.

My intention is not to scare people away from St. Louis, or even really to speak ill of this wonderful place. It's just that we've had soooo much goody, goody give me an "S", give me a "T"... what's that spell ST. LOUIS!!.... bullshit, half assed cheerleading by people who care, people who don't, people who live here, people who don't, etc... that HASN'T FUCKING WORKED. Maybe it's time that we take a good hard look at ourselves and see what we do (or don't) to contribute to this problem. To be clear, I would like to see this city become the cultural hotspot that it could be. But when I meet someone who was born and raised in the county who's almost thirty and can't even name one restaurant in the city, it reinforces my anxiety to get the hell out of here before I get to old to do anything with my life. Follow in the footsteps of the other people I have known in the arts.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to provide links to some of the stuff I discuss here in this blog or if I'll leave them be and let them continue in their efforts. Stuff like the group devoted to bringing back St. Louis started by people who don't even live here, all the great bands, artists, restaurants, etc...

Also, I'm a musician. I see most things through the filter of music, art, culture in general. So I will try to limit my comments to these subjects or research my topics before commenting on them to any length.

Finally, I am expressing my OPINION, my stream-of-consciousness. You need not agree with it but keep in mind that most other opinions concerning the advancement of this city have failed.

More bitching and complaining to come...

3 comments:

  1. What about 'Why You Should Get Out Out of Missouri'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ladue, I'm talking to you, you racists fucks"

    and a fan is born...

    ReplyDelete